COMRIE, ST. FILLANS AND MONIVARD
Source: The National Commercial Directory of Scotland, 1837.
Comrie is a respectable and populous village in the parish of that name, 58 miles n.w. of Edinburgh, 24 w. of Perth, and 6 1/2 w. of Crieff; situate in a beautiful and romantic valley at the foot of the Grampians, and on the north side of the Earn, at the junction of the Lednock. Loch Earn lies at the western extremity of the parish, and from it flows the beautiful Earn, along which there is a public road through the valley of Strathearn. In the village the manufacture of woollens is carried on to a limited extent and there is a distillery. The places of worship are a church of the establishment, and a meeting-house for the united secession congregation: the former is a modern and handsome structure, with a fine spire. The neighbourhood possesses some interesting and attractive objects; the most remarkable are vestiges of Roman encampments on the plain of Dalginross, several druidical circles, and a monument erected to the memory of the Late Lord Melville. Five annual fetes are held here, viz. St. Kenach’s on the 22nd March, the first Tuesday of May, 11th of July, 8th of November, and 4th of December.
St. Fillans is a small hamlet in the parish of Killin, 5 1/2 miles from Comrie, pleasantly situate at the foot of Loch Earn, where a boat is kept for the accommodation of fishing parties or other visitors, who are attracted hither by the delightful scenery of this district. In the month of August, annually, this village is the scene of an interesting festival, instituted, in 1819, by a society called the St.Fillans Society, for the purpose of awarding prizes to successful competitors in certain national games; there is a prize bestowed upon the best dressed Highlander, and another upon the most approved vocal performer in Gaelic. The society partakes also of a benevolent character, as it imparts aid to indigent and distressed members, widows and orphans. Great numbers of persons of respectable rank, from all parts of the Highlands, attend the meetings of this interesting association. A small neat church has recently been erected here; and there is an excellently conducted inn.
Monivard parish includes the abrogated parish of Strowan; thus united it is bounded on the north by Comrie and Monzie, by the former also on the west, by Muthill on the south, and by Crieff on the east. The river Earn passes through the district from west to east; and in the neighbourhood of this stream the country is beautiful, well planted, and enclosed. There are several small lakes in the parish, among which Monivard lake, situate at the bottom of a fine wood, and well stored with pike, perch and eels, is a delightful object to passengers, and a great ornament to the pleasure grounds of AUCHTERTYRE. On the banks of the lake a fine repeating echo is produced. There are some other seats of great beauty and taste, among which “Lawers” is the most distinguished.
POST OFFICE, Dunira-street, Comrie, Patrick M’Farlane, Post Master.-Letters from all parts arrive every morning at seven in summer and eight in winter, and are despatched every afternoon at three.
Gentry and ClergyCart & PlowWrights,
McLaren,Peter,Dunira St Gow,Peter
Note: A Highlander never begins anything of consequence on the day of the week on which the 3rd. of May falls, which he styles Lagh Sheachanna na bleanagh, “The dismal day.”